TMS for depression and more | UCLA Health Newsroom

As the number of people suffering from depression rises, doctors are looking for new, more targeted ways to treat it. One approach used by doctors at UCLA and a handful of other centers nationwide is to beam magnetic pulses deep into patients’ brains, a therapy known as transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS). The therapy is time-consuming, and only a few hospitals or clinics offer it, but its ability to work in a fundamentally different way from medications is also what makes it so promising for people not helped by drugs.

Comments

spinning debbie says:

hopefully EMF 5/6 G wont be able to change our moods….

Always Curious says:

Nice video!. At ALWAYS CURIOUS, we are doing deep research on TMS & Brain Stimulation on other areas. Would like to connect with you about this. See below. https://youtu.be/AC4rgYAzuGQ

Aidid Rashed Efat says:

This is future 👍🏼

T Steele says:

Before I knew anything about this, I had an MRI where I had to be in the machine for around 1.5 hours. Afterwords, the extreme anxiety disorder I had prior subsided for the most part for months and then I learned about this… I wonder if it could have had a similar effect on me.

Lotus says:

If insurance companies don't support this then they are truly corrupt

Masked Badass says:

I know of at least several people who say it saved their lives.

xxIluvyouguysxx says:

I’m a TMS technician and I love seeing videos like this!

Just Truth says:

Interesting video. Honestly, the guys hair lifted my mood 🙂

Mark JN says:

Advice to those considering this treatment: Lower your expectations. It is not a cure, and it may not work at all. Considering the costs, considering the number of sessions and the time involved, do not be surprised if the benefit you get from TMS is much less than what you put in.

Fresh Wes says:

what in total F did I just watch. If people practiced mindfulness and simply changed their routine behaviors as well thier environments their emotions would follow allowing them to get over depression on their own..

dystoniaify says:

I'm 37 with secondary Parkinsonism and dystonia from a rare anoxic brain injury(bilateral putamen infarction) , chronic pain, deep depression, post lasik ectasia (going blind), anxiety, and suicidal ideations. I cried when I found out that neither Medicare nor Medicaid covers this treatment. Medications do help any of my conditions. I have nothing to lose. I have been told by various doctors how rare my brain damage is, and yet no one is interested in me for research because I've been told, my Parkinsonism and dystonia is is unique :'(