How to Make Depression Era Malted Milk Powder!

From days gone by – Malted Milk Powder from Scratch! Healthy, Delicious, Easy & Cheap to make – All of the right stuff to be worthy of a pantry staple & for food storage! Malted Milk Powder can be used in so many things – from Malts, pancakes, breakfast cereals, breakfast drinks, as a sleep aid, candy (Whoppers), to breads – it is an incredible food to have on hand and to store (Whole Barley). Visit http://backtobasicsgal.blogspot.com – I even added a Malted Pancake Mix Recipe! Yum!

Comments

President Oxford says:

She's never heard the word " GRAIN "

carolietashukry says:

I think I used a wrong ingredient intead of barley berries I use pearl barley, it’s already 2 days soaking but I saw some sprout what should i do?

PrognatusSeptem says:

Dang! I was so hoping it would be something like this. Thank you so much for making this video.
Subd (actually re-subd for some reason was booted) +1

Evelyn Mitchell says:

I saw a lot of commentators are concerned about the husks, and the presenter mentioned berries that didn't get ground into flour. Wouldn't this be a good time to dig out that dusty old flour sieve your grandmother used way back when? Then all the larger pieces would be removed.

digiphot2 says:

How much Malt is added to a pound of Farina to make Malt-0-Meal. Is your Malted Milk sprouting method easier and quicker than Beer makers and their Malt preparation?

digiphot2 says:

Do you have a recipe for Home made "Malt-O-Meal", from farina and malted Barley powder?

Kenneth Rutt says:

Thanks for the information, I've had a hard time finding out exactly what malted milk is. I knew a lot of breweries that survived the prohibition by making malt, but now it makes a lot of sense why they did, since it's the same process to germinate grains for beer.

ardentabacist says:

"SMELLA VISION" Yes we do need it!
haha good one!

MrKErocks says:

You need non-diastatic malt for beverages and diastatic malt for baked goods.

rbbiefah says:

wait! you are using wheat not barley so my barley husk problem is not solved although I have an idea now : that I could grind up the sprouted> dried> hot water soaked >redried barley and put through a shifter to remove the husks ….or better yet put it in the blender while its still in its soak water and strain it through 12-14 mesh polypropylene screen

rbbiefah says:

BTW if you want to do a little more work before you grind it up and want to get even more of the starch converted to sugar do this:

put the sprouted and dried barley while it is still hot from the dehydrator in an insulated cooler thermos or a stock pot wrapped in insulation , pour in water that is exactly 165F-169F just enough to cover the already warm barley , cover it and wait 2 hours , strain out the liquid and dry the barley a second >grind it into powder and add powdered milk (you wont need as much sugar)

(note : you can shine a heat lamp on the bottom of the pot and insulate the top and sides . The idea is to keep it at 145F-160F for 2 hours . ideally at 155-160F for the first hour and 145-150F the second hour . You can do this by plugging your heat lamp into a thermostat (the bulb of the thermostat in the stock pot ) set it at 159F the frit hour and 149F teh second hour

. You will find that the barley is much sweeter after the hot water soak but it may not have as many vitamins as your original recipe .

rbbiefah says:

THis is really cool because I was worried about how to get the husk off the barley ! BUt you solved the issue by just grinding it up and drinking it !!!!Now Im not worried anymore ! That-a-girl !

Bill Scott says:

Sound s good, but you mentioned "the vanilla sugar that you made this morning" but you didn't link to it. how do you make it?
'

info wars says:

Malted milk tastes great & promotes weight gain

Robb's Homemade Life says:

I liked this video. has anyone ever tried using wheat berries in place of the barley?

contreeman says:

VERY COOL. I DID NOT KNOW THIS. NOW I DO. I CAN DO THIS. GOD BLESS

Christopher Ramirez says:

As a home brewer, I have pretty good understanding of the malting process. The barley purchased at home brewing stores are already malted (sprouted enough to crack the endosperm) to allow for standard milling processes (crushing the grain to expose the endosperm). With this process in mind, why does the barley need to be sprouted again?
Suggestion: if you buy malted barley from home brewing store, ask to use there mill to make it easier to get a smoother texture.

E Nunya says:

Does this take the "baby formula" taste away from powdered milk? I have tried everything from non fat to the Nido whole milk powder and they all smell and taste like formula to me lol and I dont' think there's an adult alive that cares for that smell lol

Paul Stovall says:

I used instructions as per the video although I found that the 'blender' treatment simply wasn't turning out the right 'grain' size conducive to malt mix. The flavor was terrific but was getting a lot of fiber particles along with it. Perhaps the syrup method would work better however I wasn't too keen on the idea as much is lost (though my chickens don't seem to mind at all).

What I did was to purchase a 'The Kitchen Mill' made by 'Blendtec' from Homesteader's Supply located in Tennessee (available on the web at <homesteadersupply.com>). You will run into Jerri who owns and operates the store. Jerri does everything possible to supply good products and keep prices down to a dull roar. If ya go this route, please tell Jerri Paul in Sonora, Ca. sent ya

The mill works wonderfully and is just right for home use. I has variable settings for flour grain and works just as well for wheat, rice, and/or what ever dry grain you might wish to flour without having to search all over the place for specialty products. Most animal feed stores carry many grain products, Just make sure you clean it well before milling.

I found that running the malted barley thought my mill on 'fine' flour setting and mixing with powdered milk and sugar I get a really good mix that makes not only a excellent  milked drink but goes well with ice cream and in breads and rolls.

Dale NakedToad says:

malted milk powder is made not from malted barley but from malted barley syrup.  The syrup is made from malted barley. Soak the malt in hot water 150° F for about an hour or two  This is called mashing. With out this soaking in hot water the starches in the malt will not be converted into that wonderful sweet malted syrup. Temperature is rather critical. Below 145 ° F and the enzymes won't activate. Above 155° and the enzymes start breaking apart.  In fact, to turn off the enzymes that do the conversion simply raise the temperature to 165° F for about 10 minutes. This will deactivate the diastatic enzymes and give you non-diastatic malt syrup which is what you want for malted milk powdered.

To strain I use two buckets. The lower fitted with a spigot and hose and the inner one drilled with hundreds of small holes. Put the buckets together and place the entire mash into the inner bucket water and all. Drain and re-circulate the water. It will be cloudy and thin at first. As you keep putting it back through the grain bed will settle and the liquid will be come clear, thick and golden.

Use hot water and similar process to extract as much of the sugars as possible. You can then boil the liquid down into a thick syrup. If you wish you can then dehydrate the syrup and grind into a powder.

The way that malted milk is typically made is to take the malt syrup and combine with milk and flour. Mix well then dehydrate the whole mess. You could probably do this with very low heat in pressure cooker that you've hooked a vacuum hose to or in nylon tray in a dehydrator.  Or you could dehydrate your malt syrup and combine with powdered milk. Include wheat flour as desired.

I don't bother dehydrating my malt syrup I simply turn it into beer.

101sweetmom says:

When these dry I want to add them to homemade bread. Similar to sprouted wheat.
Can't wait to add the mix to pancakes.

101sweetmom says:

These bubbled like crazy. If I hadn't seen your video I would of thought that I had done something wrong and probably thrown it out. Now it's dehydrating. It took a couple of extra days but I think that was because it was cooler here. They sprouted. Hoping these taste like the malted flavour that I remember.

Jayme Rios says:

what if we don't have a dehydrator? Also once its all made, how much of it do you add to milk?

101sweetmom says:

Thanks. I'm doing this right now. The water had turned a dark red.  I had never heard about this type of barley before. These are in the hull so we will see what happens. These are suppose to have all the nutrients because they haven't been polished.

101sweetmom says:

Do you let the barley soak covered in water the total time or do you drain it and sprout like other seeds not covered in water just rinsed for the 2 days? I'm trying this with purple barley. They were the only ones that weren't polished.

101sweetmom says:

Got to do this now. Love your videos. Thanks for the instructions.